Tense in writing deals with the relationship between an action of the verb and when the action is taking place.
An action may take place in the past, present or future.
The tenses may be summed up as follows:
2. We have swept the compound clean.
2. The teachers have been marking composition.
You can use short form or long form like the example below
2. The players kicked the ball across the field.
2. The monkeys were climbing the tree.
2. The policemen had been looking for the culprit.
2. The villagers will be cooking for the visitors.