Jesus frees and commands
Meaning of Christian freedom
- Christian freedom means the ability to choose to do what is right in accordance with Christ’s teachings.
- We can choose between right and wrong; to accept or refuse something.
- As Christians we should use our freedom wisely.
- We should consider other people around us who also have their rights and freedoms.
- Christ used His freedom as a human being and did what was pleasing to God.
- He freely accepted to die on the cross for all humankind.
- In (Galatians 5:1 and 13), Christians are given freedom through Christ who sets us free from sin.
- But it is important to know that this freedom is limited. It is not freedom to do whatever you want but do what is right in God’s eyes. We are to love one another, not serve our flesh.
- Humans were given freedom and power over all creation. We should therefore preserve it in accordance with God’s will.
As Christians what can we be freed from?
- People can be freed from their problems and sins if they accept Jesus as their Saviour.
- The sick can be freed of their illnesses.
- They can be cured by power of the Holy Spirit.
- We can be freed from the hold of the devil who causes us to sin.
- The heart-broken can find comfort and hope and the burden of grief and sadness can be a thing of the past.
Jesus' obedience to God
- Jesus obeyed his earthly parents. He helped with the daily chores and in His father’s carpentry business.
- He also obeyed God. He accepted the suffering that would come with saving humankind from hell.
- Jesus could have refused, but He knew God’s will and He loved us. He therefore agreed to be sent to earth where He suffered rejection and intense pain to give human beings eternal life.
Jesus and loyalty
(John 8:31 - 34 )
- To be loyal means to be trustworthy, dependable and faithful.
- Jesus depended on God to give Him strength when He was about to be crucified.
- In (Luke 22:39-46 ) Jesus was loyal to God. This was shown through His faithfulness to the mission God had sent Him on earth to do, even unto His death.
- Christians can show their loyalty by being faithful to God. They should also be committed to His teachings and follow His commandments.
Jesus and authority
Jesus obeyed the authority of His parents. He also obeyed the Pharisees and the scribes who were the spiritual leaders of His time. He obeyed and respected the Roman emperor who ruled Palestine. However Jesus did not fail to condemn the wrong things they did.
Likewise, we should not sit back and watch wrong things being done. We should stand up for what is right. In Matthew 22:15-22, Jesus approved the payment of taxes to the Roman emperor.
As Christians we are duty-bound to obey and respect authority. However, we are not to go against God’s laws.
Personal freedom and ourselves
( 1 Peter 2:16)
- Christians have a duty to do good acts.
- We should do what Christ teaches us to do.
- We should not cover up evil.
- We are God’s witnesses and therefore should do as God commands us to do all the time.
- Our actions should show submission to God.
- As Christians we should avoid doing anything that will pull us away from God.
Personal freedom and loyalty today
- We have learnt that Jesus remained obedient to His parents while on earth. He also showed loyalty to God His Father.
- He remained loyal to His disciples and to those in authority.
- We should follow Christ’s example in our daily lives today
- Galatians 5:13 says that we should not use our personal freedom to do bad things or to cover up evil, instead we should serve one another in love.
Personal freedom in relation to authority
( Titus 3:1-2)
- It is every citizen’s obligation to obey the laws of the land. By doing so we are obeying God, for no authority is put in place without God.
- Both church and civil laws are for the good of every citizen, therefore they must be obeyed and supported.
Using our freedom to serve our community and state
( Titus 3:1 - 3), (Romans 13:1 )
- Christians have a moral obligation to serve both the church and the government. Christians must therefore obey the government laws and keep God’s commandments.
- Christians should be obedient while on earth so that they will go to their next home, heaven.
- Christians should folloe the example of jesus christ who served both His community and God
- As good citizens we shoild serve our country by doing what is good.We should contribute toits development,not its downfall.
- Romans 15:1-2 says that we shouldf help the needy in our society and build them up rather than just pleasing ourselves.
- Christians should come together to help others.This makes community members happy and they remain united.