|Elgeyo Marakwet County|
|Homa Bay County|
|Taita Taveta County|
|Tana River County|
|Tharaka Nithi County|
|Uasin Gishu County|
|West Pokot County|
|Summary and Quick Quiz|
What are some of the reasons that make Nairobi highly populated?
N/B Nairobi is the largest industrial centre. With a population of 3.36 million in 2011, it is the second-largest city by population in the African Great Lakes region after Dar Es Salaam.
- Nairobi is the main commercial centre in the country with many business and employment opportunities. This makes many people to prefer staying in the city for means of employment and livelihood.
- Appointing persons to hold or act in those offices.
- Confirming appointments.
- Exercising disciplinary control over and removing persons holding or acting in those offices.
- Ambulance services,
- Promotion of primary health care,
- Licensing and control of undertakings that sell food to the public,
- Veterinary services (excluding regulation of the profession which is a national government function),
- Cemeteries, funeral parlours and crematoria,
- Refuse removal, refuse dumps and solid waste disposal.
- Betting, casinos and other forms of gambling,
- Racing, liquor licensing, cinemas, video shows and hiring,
- Sports and cultural activities and facilities,
- County parks, beaches and recreation facilities.
- Trade licences (excluding regulation of professions), fair trading practices, local tourism, and cooperative societies.
County Governor is the chief executive and the Deputy County Governor are and deputy chief executive of the county.
Each county is run by an executive committee, consisting of:
Kenyan law requires governors to have a recognised university degree.
Each county has an assembly whose members are elected from single member constituencies known as wards.
There may also be a number of nominated members as is necessary to ensure that neither male nor female members constitute more than two-thirds of the assembly
There is also six nominated members to represent marginalised groups (persons with disabilities, and the youth).
A speaker who is an ex officio member of the assembly.
1. Why do you think Lamu is the least populated?
2. Which county leads in Tourism attraction?
3. i) Identify counties with very harsh weather conditions.
ii) What are some of the identities of harsh weather?
4. How many counties border the Indian Ocean? Identify the counties.
5. How many counties border Lake Turkana? Identify them.
6. How many counties border Lake Victoria? Identify the counties.
7. Identify the county with the highest number of constituencies.