Answer the following questions
1. Name the relief regions of Eastern Africa
2. What is a plateau?
3. A depression filled with water is called?
4. The highest mountain in Eastern Africa is called?
What is a rift valley?
A rift valley is a linear-shaped lowland between several highlands or ranges created by a geologic rift or fault,as shown below
The picture below shows a rift valley picture
The rift valley in Eastern Africa starts from the red sea and ends in Mozambique-south Africa. Rift valley is divided in three main branches.
The western branch This section of the rift valley runs from the border of Uganda and Democratic republic of Congo to the south near the border of Malawi and Tanzania.
This section of the rift valley runs from lake Turkana through Kenya and Tanzania before joining western branch of the rift valley north of lake Malawi. It enters Kenya north of lake Turkana from Ethiopia.
This section of the rift valley starts from the Red sea and extends down to lake turkana .It forms the boundary between the eastern and the western Ethiopian highlands.
Features found in the rift valley
Long deep narrow lakes for example lake Turkana,Tanganyika,Malawi,Edward among others Volcanic mountains for example mount Longmont,menengai crater Volcanoes for example mount longonot. Hot springs Geysers Frequent earth quakes.
1. Rift valley in Eastern Africa is divided into how many branches
2. Eastern branch of the rift valley starts from---
3. Which one of the following features does not occur in the rift valley Lake Tanganyika,mount Lononot,hot springs and lake Victoria
4. Name the branches of the rift valley