Biblical view on thankfulness
What does the bible say about thankfulness?
1. Whoever offers thanksgiving as a sacrifice glorifies God.
- Psalm 50:23 The one who offers thanksgiving as his sacrifice glorifies me; to one who orders his way rightly, I will show the salvation of God!”
2. We should come before God, enter His gates with thanksgiving.
- Psalm 100:1-5 ... Enter his gates with thanksgiving, and his courts with praise! Give thanks to him; bless his name! For the Lord is good; ...
3. We should thank God for His steadfast love for us.
- Psalm 107:1 ... Oh give thanks to the Lord, for he is good, for his steadfast love endures forever!”
Psalm 136: 1–3 ...
4. Thank God because he is our God.
- Psalm 118:28-29 You are my God, and I will give thanks to you;
you are my God; I will extol you.
This is the day that the Lord has made;
let us rejoice and be glad in it.
5. Giving thanks is faithfulness to God.
- Luke 17:11-18 ... he met ten lepers, who stood at a distance and lifted up their voices, saying, ‘Jesus, Master, have mercy on us.’ When he saw them he said to them, ‘Go and show yourselves to the priests.’ And as they went they were cleansed ... Then Jesus answered, ‘Were not ten cleansed? Where are the nine? Was no one found to return and give praise to God except this foreigner?’ And he said to him, ‘Rise and go your way; your faith has made you well.’”
6. Thank God because we share in His victory.
- 2 Corinthians 2:13-14 But thanks be to God, who in Christ always leads us in triumphal procession, and through us spreads the fragrance of the knowledge of him everywhere ...
7. Be thankfull even for what doesn't benefit you.
- Ephesians 1:15-16 For this reason, because I have heard of your faith in the Lord Jesus and your love toward all the saints, I do not cease to give thanks for you, remembering you in my prayers.”
8. Thank God for leaders and everybody else.
- 1 Timothy 2:1-4 First of all, then, I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for all people, for kings and all who are in high positions, that we may lead a peaceful and quiet life, godly and dignified in every way. This is good, and it is pleasing in the sight of God our Savior, who desires all people to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth.”
Other things we can thank God for.
- Holidays are special days when we rest.
- Even God after creating everything for six days, rested the seventh day. And decreed it a holy day.
- We rest on weekends. When we close school we also rest in April, August and December. We thank God for giving us holidays.
- Identify some other holidays you know and their respective dates.
Examples of thankful people in the bible.
- Hannah did not have a child and prayed to God to give her a son.
- God gave Hannah a son and she named him Samuel. Samuel's father was Elikanah.
- Hannah offered up Samuel to God, he lived with the priest Eli in the temple and became a priest/prophet.
- This was a show of much gratitude Hannah gave to God.
- We should thank God for the gift of life, parents, our families and Jesus Christ.