Choose the expression which will best complete each sentence correctly.
1. The old woman who has just retired lost more than _______ savings.
A. his half well earned
B. well earned half his
C. half of his well earned
D. his earned well half.
2. Here is an interesting letter_______.
A. you to read for
B. to read for you
C. for you to read
D. you to read.
3. This is a letter _______.
A. for signing the headmaster
B. that the headmaster sign
C. for the headmaster to sign
D. the headmaster to sign.
4. The prisoners must have attempted ______.
A. to escape B. to having escape
C. who escape D. to have escped.
5. After the interview, they were given written questions _______.
A. for them to have answered
B. they answered
C. to answer
D. to answer them.
6. Take it or leave it, _______.
A. choose or not
B. the choice is yours
C. your choice
D. do not choose.
7. He _______ not turn up for work today. He is three hours late already.
A. can B. shall
C. might D. must.
8. She _______been feeling well for the last three days.
A. hasn’t B. didn’t
C. haven’t D. isn’t.
9. We ought to help the poor, _______.
A. shouldn’t we? B. oughtn’t we?
C. isn’t it D. ought we?
10. A job which is badly _______ is often badly ended.
A. beginning B. began
C. begun D. begins.
Introductory and transitional words are very important.
Examples of such words that
• connect ideas that are similar and, also, besides, for example,
in other words, likewise,
another, in addition, moreover,
• connect ideas that are opposite or but, nor, not, instead, however,
in contrast in contrast, on the other hand, although, despite, in spite of, yet, even while, except, nevertheless, notwithstanding, regardless
• Read the sentence, substituting the word “blank” for each blank.
• Watch for the key introductory and transitional words.
These determine how the parts of the sentences relate to each other.
• Answer the two-blank questions one blank at a time.
• Check your answer by reading the entire sentence with your selected words in the blanks.
Play this video and learn more: