What is a clan?
A clan is a group of people with a common ancestor (founding father).
Study this drawing and discuss it in your groups. It illustrates a clan.
Clanism is an important aspect in almost all traditional African societies.
Clan members are related by blood.
Most clans in the traditional communities were founded by males, but the Kikuyu clans were founded by women.
THE 17 NANDI CLANS
- From Elgon & Lumbwa (Kipsigis)
- From Lumbwa (Kipsigis)
Kipasiso and Kapchemuri (Chemuri)
- From Elgon & Elgeyo
- From Lo-'sekelae Masai
Kipkoiitim (also partly from Elgon)
Talai, the medicine men's clan (partly also from Kamasya)
Kikuyu clans were founded by the 9 daughters of Gikuyu and Mumbi
Gikuyu and his wife Mumbi and their 9 daughters
When relatives ( cousins, uncles, aunts, nieces, nephews, grandparents and great grandparents plus their offspring) come together they form a clan.
Members of a clan
Clans are sustained by naming of children after the living dead and the ancestors.
Each clan had a council of elders
- AGIKUYU ELDERS
- AGIRIAMA ELDERS
- 2726387c-57bf-477d-8962-1de362673781 by elimu used under CC_BY-SA
- bc59aa04-8446-4158-b742-1d1bd193a777 by elimu used under CC_BY
- e7aef3d4-143a-40da-810e-461d1ad59e77 by elimu used under CC_BY-SA
- 0310045b-0d7a-46df-8eaf-0f2575c9d424 by elimu used under CC_BY-SA
- 13afe7b7-2c4a-4313-b079-8a4be80e5869 by elimu used under CC_BY-SA
- 44b705cd-7c52-48cc-a885-c4a4f4b1b0f5 by elimu used under CC_BY-SA
- 626fab14-dc57-4c32-a7a3-d11cb8b62e09 by elimu used under CC_BY-SA
- 6b310dc4-9d63-4444-a887-b733ca073670 by elimu used under CC_BY-SA
- 7f54a30c-82d4-44cd-bf6c-76d49158e069 by elimu used under CC_BY-ND
- 90becf93-1c8a-4c94-b97c-e06b31e05ef3 by elimu used under CC_BY-SA
- e3bbd4d9-8b71-456f-bdab-a441ef8a34ea by elimu used under CC_BY-SA
All work unless implicitly stated is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.