- The bible is a collection of 66 books that contain the word of God. It is the Holy book that christians read to get spiritual nourishment. The bible is divided in to 2 parts;
1. The Old Testament
2. The New Testament
- The old testament has thirty nine books.
- The new testament has twenty seven books.
- Altogether the bible has sixty six books.
The Old Testament
- It talks about God's work of creation.
- It also talks about the relationship between God and the people of Israel.
- It has the prophecies that tell about God's plan for the salvaton of mankind.
- It has 39 books that are categorised into 4 groups as follows.
1. Pentateuch/books of law
The are the first five books in the bible.
The were written by Moses.
2. Historic books
These are the;
- 1 Samuel
- 2 Samuel
- 1 Kings
- 2 Kings
- 1 Chronicles
- 2 Chronicles
3. Poetic books
- Song of Songs/Song of Solomon
4. Prophetic books
- These are divided into Major Prophets and Minor Prophets
- Daniel. (The book of Lamentations is sometimes grouped with The Major Prophets because Prophet Jeremiah wrote it.)
The New Testament
The New Testament gives the story of Jesus Christ who was born to fulfill the Old Testament prophecies. It has 27 books and they are categorised into;
1. The Gospels
They talk about the birth, life and the teachings of Jesus Christ. They also record the miracles performed by Jesus. They include;
2. Historic or Good News Book
This is the book of Acts of the Apostles.
Acts gives the history of the of the early church who were believers of Jesus Christ.
3. Epistles or letters.
Most of the Epistles were written by Apostle Paul who was converted to christianity after his encounter with God on his way to Damascus.They include;
- 1 Corinthians
- 2 Corinthians
- 1 Thessalonians
- 2 Thessalinians
- 1 Timothy
- 2 Timothy
The other Epistles are;
James, 1 Peter, 2 Peter, 1 John, 2 John, 3 John, Jude.
Prophetic Book - Revelation is the only Prophetic Book in the New Testament.
- bible_division by slideplayer.com used under CC_BY
- bible by www.dailyworldfacts.com used under CC_BY-SA
All work unless implicitly stated is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.